Two men in suits standing side by side, both looking towards the camera.
Alfred and Albert Smiley.

In 1888, shortly after Redlands was incorporated, many citizens began to recognize the need for a public library. As a temporary solution, several private groups established public reading rooms.

In 1889, twin brothers Alfred H. and Albert K. Smiley traveled west and were so impressed by the city’s beautiful scenery that they purchased 200 acres south of the town. In 1891, several prominent citizens, including Alfred Smiley, came together to establish a public library.

In 1894, the city’s first official library opened in the old YMCA building, which also housed other city offices. However, the need for a larger and more permanent headquarters soon became apparent. Albert Smiley purchased 16 acres in downtown Redlands and decided to donate the land to the city of Redlands.

The Smiley brothers used the land to build a new public library and downtown park in Redlands. On April 29, 1898, the A.K. Smiley Public Library and Smiley Park were officially dedicated to the city. The library was designed in both Mission and Moorish Revival styles.

As the library’s needs grew over the years, many expansions and upgrades were funded by the Smiley family. In 1987, the library was designated as a Redlands Centennial project, and in 1990, it celebrated its largest and most costly expansion totaling $4.1 million.

Today, the library continues to serve as a vital resource to the Redlands community. It houses a collection of materials on California’s native tribes, which was donated by Andrew Carnegie. It also has a collection of rare artifacts related to Southern California and local history.

A.K. Smiley Public Library was added to the National Register of Historic Places on Dec. 12, 1976. It was also designated as a California Historical Landmark on Aug. 17, 1990.

The information in this historical feature was originally part of a video series produced by the Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk’s office.


Additional County Update News – April 3, 2025